hi Strypey, wow that is a lot of technical info. I've never looked at partitions on here so I'll have to do that but I'm not sure how, or how to set them up. My info is on 2 backup drives each have 500 GB. One thing I really want to do is back up my browser, with all its settings, it took me a while to tweak it so I don't want to lose it. I don't mind doing a fresh install if it'll solve my problems. I have my Mac as a backup so I could go there if I goof here and can't get online. I would need to put the programs I need to install on here on a flash drive.