what do you mean no security updates? It just gets them a day late, its good till 2019. I used to just wait a day to use trisquel if it was serious then update the next day.

Go to https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/ and then compare your version of the file. or apt log if it applies to trisquel. I don't have trisquel installed anymore either cause I'm doing steam gaming now. But I doubt that would have changed, unless it broke.

The browsers might be a diff story. If they aren't getting updated you might have to just change to something more mainstream.