I'm a bit confused about what you could hope to achieve by emailing the FSF. Are you asking them to pay Ruben to work on it? Or possibly asking them to give him more free time? It could be that neither of these are possible. Besides, it would be more effective to contribute to Trisquel's development.

I'd also like to point out that the ISO having been released in 2014 is not that big of a problem. What matters is whether or not updates are coming in, and to my understanding, they are and will continue to do so until 2019.

But if 2019 comes and Trisquel 8 still hasn't been released, or if the updates stop rolling in, it's not the end of the world. Just like with gNewSense and Ututo, we would just move to another distro, probably GuixSD (which is a system I'm interested in switching to anyway).