> But I have tried quite a lot to find ways to make vlc work with Matruska and it annoys me that I couldn't find the solution.

Like I said, Matroska files can contain just about any kind of data, so you can't tell just by the fact that it's a Matroska file whether or not your system can play it. It's not like WebM or MPEG-4 where only a couple designated and related codecs are valid. In those cases, it's pretty easy to tell because there aren't a lot of possibilities. But with a Matroska file, it could be anything ranging from Theory to VP8 to h.264 and just about anything else.