The free firmware is the one packaged by Trisquel and it's linked in this section: https://wiki.tehnoetic.com/doku.php?id=tehnoetic_wifi_replicant#copy_free_firmware

However, without the ath9k_htc support in Replicant kernel, there is no driver to work with that firmware. To be able to build the ath9k_htc free driver in Replicant's Linux, reverting some older patches was needed, as detailed in the section:

https://wiki.tehnoetic.com/doku.php?id=tehnoetic_wifi_replicant#tehnoetic_wifi_patches

and committed to the Tehnoetic repository at git.replicant.us:

https://git.replicant.us/tehnoetic/kernel_samsung_smdk4412/tree/ath9k_htc

It takes several hours and about 50GB available space to build Replicant, so for user's convenience, until these patches are reviewed and merged in the Replicant code, we provide an image already built by Tehnoetic for the Galaxy S2.

http://tehnoetic.com/download/replicant-4.2-i9100-nonofficial-tehnoetic.zip

Using the same patch set we have been able to also build Replicant for Galaxy S3 and WiFi is more stable there. It seems that S3 hardware can handle better the power consumption peaks of the ath9k_htc-based WiFi dongles.

We'll soon upload the image for S3 and include Fil's accessibility scripts in the tutorial (which also work for the S3). As future development, we'll try to have Tehnoetic WiFi working on the upcoming Replicant 6.0 too.

For convenience, we intend to offer our customers Tehnoetic S2 and Tehnoetic S3 phones preinstalled with one of the Replicant variants below:
* Replicant 4.2
* Replicant 4.2 w/ Tehnoetic WiFi patches
* Replicant 4.2 w/ Tehnoetic WiFi patches and Fil's scripts