Hello Trisquel users,

It has been roughly 6 months since I've installed Trisquel 7.0, and it has been great so far. Everything has worked. However, when I tried to open a large .pptx file yesterday, LibreOffice froze completely. The first 3 slides displayed as loaded, but the rest of the slides were not loaded. Unfortunately, even those 3 slides couldn't be viewed since the program was frozen.

Thankfully, I can open other programs (e.g. Task Manager so that I can kill LibreOffice). I've been looking around the web for information on this problem, and haven't found anything more than to delete the user profile at $HOME/.config/libreoffice/4/user, and open LibreOffice again (which supposedly resets the user profile). I have done that, and the problem persists.

I was running LibreOffice 4.2.x, and this problem was there. I just upgraded to 5.2.4.2 (latest version) an hour back to see if the latest version fixed this problem, but it didn't. In the past, I have opened large .pptx files with lots of images and animations with no issues, so I don't know why this problem suddenly popped up. I have rebooted, and even reinstalled Java/LibreOffice to no avail. I have tried exporting the presentation as a PDF, that results in a freeze as well.

Any of you know how to fix this? I wish I didn't have to deal with PowerPoint files, but that is the format my teachers distribute in. I can't really change that. I do have a Windows machine to view these files, but that would be a last resort. I want to stick to free software such as LibreOffice.

Thanks for reading.