Yeah, I use riseup too :(

>The ones I'm looking at are Safe-mail.net and VFEmail since they work without JavaScript.

Well, I just tried creating an account with VFE without allowing the javasmith. No game. The problematic part is indeed creating the account. Once the account has been created, any mail provider will work just great with free software (any mail client of your choice).

Some time back I did make one (I also purged it afterwards for their "privacy" policy) without allowing js with safe-mail. They will ask you for your phone number. You can make up one, I provided a fake one and it worked.

This one works beautifully, you can register for an account without allowing any script at all -> https://cock.li/

It's mail with cocks, you know, but it's free and can be used in freedom.. :D