There's no evidence that using Dvorak actually improves typing speed or comfort. Most keyboards are QWERTY. You're supposed to set the keyboard layout based on what the printed characters on the keys actually say. So QWERTY is the default choice that makes the most sense. Even QWERTZ and AZERTY layouts would make more sense as a default choice than Dvorak.

Besides, most systems don't exactly have a default. The keyboard layout is chosen when you install the system. They just have QWERTY as the default selection because that's what most people are going to want/use.

I personally haven't heard of using Dvorak as an example in that context. Then again, I've never heard anyone say that GNU/Linux must suck because it's unpopular. If they did, that would be a logical fallacy, and it would also be wrong. GNU/Linux systems are by far the most common systems used on servers.