Perusing the French forum which I can understand only 'un peu,' but like trying, seeing this thread: https://trisquel.info/en/forum/paquets-conserv%C3%A9s-non-mis-%C3%A0-jour-dans-le-terminal concerning an issue I believe I have experienced before, and noticing mention of jxself.org/linux-libre, I, in Trisquel 8 decided to give it a whirl. The steps to upgrade my kernel given at the site were wonderfully perfect and I chose the 'sudo apt install linux-libre-lts' option and am now booting up to something like '4.9.15-gnu #1 SMP x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux' and see there is still Linux 4.4.0-66-generic and Linux-Libre 4.4.0-64-generic kernels available to grub advanced options. As far as I know, nothing was broken, all my apps seem to work just fine with the new kernel.

So I was wondering why Trisquel doesn't keep up with jxself's/Linux-Libre kernels.