How do I keep companies from spying on me?

Use Tor Browser for most of your ''sensitive'' browsing, and a VPN for your Banking and the usual web surf..you can change your DNS, use free proxies

As far as I know is to use a free gnu/linux like trisquel and an encrypted no logging vpn service. What is are some good free as in freedom vpns that are secure?

Lots of VPN services around, it's really a matter of choice and test, there is free as freedom server hosting companies but i don't know of actuall VPN companies running a Trisquel OpenVPN server ;-)
here is a good service
https://airvpn.org/

What are the best privacy search engines?

List of search engines that respect your privacy:
https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/free-search-engines

How do I keep my browser and other apps from being too unique in its fingerprint? The more unique it is the more likely they can log you better for advertisements.
https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/tweak-your-browser-enhance-security-and-privacy
The point about Tor Browser is it not unique, your camouflage is that all browsers are identical

I suppose also using an adblock would work too.