This seems to be a long solved issue, since answers I have found on the net are quite old. and none of the answers I have found solve the problem in my case.

And this is a 'new' problem that has turned up today. I can't remember exactly the last time I opened an attachment, but it can't that long.

Anyway, when I click on the attachment I see the usual bow to choose if I want to save the file or open it with the appropriate program (i.e. okular for pdf, writer for odt, doc etc).

When I choose I get a new dialogue box (I translate from Danish, it might be open application).

From here I again have to choose which programme should open the attached file. Since this dialogue opens on my desktop, I have no idea of how to choose the appropriate application. And it shouldn't be necessary, since I have already chosen that in the settings of Icedove.

What am I overlooking?