> completely putting aside economic concerns (and its naive to do that), there seems little point working hard on a game almost nobody would play.

That just goes to show that you're not a game developer. ;) See, this is an untrue statement. A lot of the time, we make games because we personally want to play them; one great example is the little game that I started making earlier this week called Tangomon. No one has asked for it or indicated that they are interested in it, but I am interested in it, so in that sense I'm scratching my own itch.

It's the same as any other art. You design a game because you want to make something good that people, often including yourself, can enjoy. Or, alternatively, you design a game as a form of personal expression. You do not design a game primarily for the purpose of being popular. Or rather, when being popular is the primary reason you design a game, it's never particularly good. Making the game popular is a secondary thing you want to do, and only either because you want more people to experience it, or because you want to be able to make games more often.

> My goal in proposing GOLD is to make the libre gaming community more visible, and attract more gamers to it. I think this *in itself* will increase the motivation for game developers to go libre.

That's true, and I agree entirely with this goal. In short, let's make libre gaming cool! :) I just don't think including non-trap libre-software-but-proprietary-data games will particularly affect efforts toward this goal.