svh...@gmail.com wrote:
http://mashable.com/2017/05/10/microsoft-ceo-dystopian-future

How many believes microsoft?

There's no reason to believe any software proprietor that they're looking out for user's interests. Nor is there any reason to single out Microsoft as being anything but an example of a deeper underlying problem.

One of the stories that inadvertently highlights this concept is the story about the time Microsoft got caught distributing inoperative so-called "privacy" controls[1]. The story doesn't reach the conclusions I list below (I don't believe Condé Nast is structured such that it could publish such conclusions from their own authors. The message "all computer users deserve software freedom" is anathema to most business IT publications these days because the business IT press are wedded to the "open source" philosophy which sees proprietary software as being just as worthwhile as any other kind of software).

But clearly it didn't matter what those settings were set to (nor did it matter if one used a particular kind of controls to change the so-called "privacy" settings -- GUI, registry setting, or something else), network traffic analysis showed that the settings didn't change the fact that data left the computer to go to Microsoft. Anyone who knows anything about programming could have told you this, but real-world examples help do away with the need to deal with "tinfoil hat" dismissals or explaining foreseeable consequences from a programmer's point of view.

I find this story particularly poignant because it shows that:

- any proprietor can exfiltrate data with any program, whether on-purpose or by accident.

- that the software is non-free means it doesn't matter whether this was done on-purpose or by accident because either way the user can't do anything about it except stop running Windows.

- the UI details are irrelevant. No matter how they're labeled, no matter if they're accessible to non-technical users (GUI controls) or not (registry settings) doesn't matter because the exfiltration always occured.

- we need security scanning on all software but the only way to get software that respects the user's wishes is running nothing but free software.

[1] https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/