Thank you for clarifying that- it makes it much clearer why nobody picked it up for so long (although what convinced them to use the said comparison function is still beyond comprehension...).

As for your point in regards to caring, you're unfortunately probably right. The most mainstream news source I've seen carry this was Slashdot, and even then I suspect many readers probably aren't greatly moved by this revelation (disclaimer: I do have a ME-enabled device presently, so perhaps that's hypocritical to say). Perhaps it's a little too much to propose there were malicious motives behind it, but it can't be ruled out...