Hi Heather,

If X220 porting efforts in Libreboot are successful, and I then add the T420, you might be able to get your T420 flashed for free at a workshop somewhere. If you have something like a raspberry pi or beaglebone you could also try flashing it yourself, you just need a clip (pomona 5250) and some wires, and there would be instructions on the libreboot site.

If you live in the USA and/or can travel to boston, the FSF usually hosts a Libreboot installation workshop at their annual LibrePlanet conference in Boston, MA. I personally ran the LibrePlanet 2015 and 2016 Libreboot installation workshops, working alongside Patrick McDermott (a former Libreboot developer), where people could bring their laptops for Libreboot installation.

PS:

I didn't attend LibrePlanet 2017, but I'm considering whether to attend LibrePlanet 2018 - it depends on whether I'm willing to risk a pat-down by TSA. That would only happen on exiting the US though (I live outside of the US) in my experience... they don't do body scans when entering the US, when I went there.

Which is kind of odd when you think about it, but it is what it is.

But yes, if I do attend LP 2018 and you're able to make it, I'll probably run another Libreboot workshop there like I did in previous years.

~Leah