I have an external USB drive that currently when I connect to my computer appears as not being mounted, I click it, and it mounts, but when I try to access the folder it says I have not the right permissions. I can only use this as root.

I have tried running sudo nautilus, and navigated to the folder and right click to change permissions
It fails, automatically changes options to what they were.

I ahev tried running chown -R /media/user/diskfolder and it apparently worked but didn't do anything. I have tried running chmod -R 777 /media/user/diskfolder and it apparently worked but didn't do anything.

How can I get access to it again in regular user not only root?

Thanks.