For instance, wear leveling means that parts of your data might be stored on the drive and you have no way of wiping it, when the controller in the SSD remaps flash cells.

Encrypting that is useful for security purposes. Encryption always (emphasis on the word always) improves your security and privacy (obviously, depending on the key strength, what algorithms you use, what software you use - e.g. luks/dm-crypt).

I use encryption and RAID1 on 2 SSDs (different brands, to avoid having similar MTBF) on my own T400 that I use. I don't notice any real CPU overhead or performance issues with it.

RAID0 or RAID1 on 2 1TB HDDs will also give you a noticeable performance increase, over just 1 HDD. It won't be as fast as an SSD, of course. If you use RAID1, an optimized setup will at least mean that read speeds will be higher, while you get extra guarantee against data loss. I generally recommend RAID1 instead of RAID0 - the performance gain with RAID0 compared to RAID1 isn't actually that much, in the real world, because of how RAID drivers work.