Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

Especially onpon4's, ADFENO's and strypey's points made me reconsider my role in this software issue and I decided to write to the technical support team. You will find a translation of my inquiry below.

Please note that I'm not in the US and I'm not applying to a US funding organization but with the DAAD, the German Academic Exchange Service.

This is my inquiry, and I'll let you know about responses.

-----

Dear Sir or Madam,

Recently I applied for a DAAD grant. In doing so, I encountered serious problems with handling the "DAAD general application form."

This PDF document can be opened and edited with Adobe Reader only, according to your technical documentation and according to my experiences. However, this software is no longer available for me as a GNU/Linux user. (Development and support for Linux were dropped in 2013.) Each of the PDF applications available to me displayed the following error message: "To view the full contents of this document, you need a later version of the PDF viewer. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader from www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html For further support, go to www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html" I suspect that some feature of Adobe's Digital Rights Management is activated in this application form which prevents editing with other software.

Eventually, I could not find a way to apply for one of your grants using my GNU/Linux system. In order to submit my application, I had to use a Windows system of somebody else twice. This took me about three hours longer than without this issue.

I assume your intentions are not to exclude us GNU/Linux users from applications with your institution. However, such applications are quite difficult for us and need more time, and depend on other people's computers. I think this is unjustified. Do you see any possibility to create your PDF forms and documents in such a way that theyw can be edited by GNU/Linux users in the future?

Best regards

[name, address]