No, I haven't installed a new desktop environment. I can think of only two changes I made shortly before the problem began. (1) Installing Thunderbird and making the mistake of letting it download all of my emails, which took up all of my remaining disk space. I'll delete these once I can log in again. (2) I set up my printer. The printer worked during the first session I tried it, but the next time it did not. I don't see how that could be related to the problem, but the problem did begin when I restarted my computer to try to get the printer working.

Yes, WiFi works with guest.

All important data is backed up, so as a last resort I'd be willing to reinstall Trisquel, although I'd rather learn how to address the problem in case it happens again.

A photo of the splash screen is attached.

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate the time you're putting into this.