I'm responding to comment #46 down here because things were starting to get a little too scrunched to read. (It would be great if the indent width of comment replies were halved so that it would take twice as long for this to happen.)

After making deblob-check executable, running ./deblob-check CHIP-linux.tar.gz gives CHIP-linux/firmware/WHENCE within CHIP-linux.tar.gz WHENCE is a text file containing incomplete license information. I'm not sure exactly what the output should look like since I can't find sample usage anywhere, but I would have expected to get a list of source code files that contain blobs.