Was it a kernel panic or a problem with mounting an encrypted /home? Because that is the problem I faced tonight: the init never reaches the graphical login screen, I skipped mounting /home (with S) and in a terminal I access with Ctrl+Alt+F1:
$ sudo ecryptfs-mount-private
ERROR: Encrypted private directory is not set up properly

I had the good idea to keep the latest 3.13 kernel (Trisquel 7's default) and, booting it, /home is mounted any issue. I am currently backing up my data (to not lose a few days of work if the hardware really is at fault).