The reality is most projects do have core developers that make most of the decisions, that isn't weird. Purely community led projects generally fall apart due to in-fighting pretty quickly. There are very few projects where people not committing code can have a significant impact on the end product. For example Debian uses a series of principles and a management structure called Web of Trust that empowers some to make decisions over many, otherwise nothing would ever get done.

My feeling is I can track the code, see the commits, and in that way the direction of the project is being communicated. I don't need a fireside chat from Ruben in the forum every quarter, I'd rather he focus on the software.

Should Ruben bring more people in if he can and they are willing? Sure, but that is his decision to make. There are a lot of factors for him to consider and its often made out to be much easier than it is.