I think tg3 has a valid point with this, as well as all of his other posts on this topic. If we're lucky, Trisquel 8 will be released at the same time as Ubuntu 18.04, which makes its packages outdated by two years. I know that Trisquel 7 still gets security updates, etc., but I have not found it to be reliable (it constantly freezes, and only a hard reset will allow me to continue; also, some of the applications also crash/freeze, like deja-dup, which is unacceptable for a backup solution, and there is no way to get a newer version of it on Trisquel 7).

I also understand that Ruben is working a full-time job, and that he can't put as much time into Trisquel 8 as we would like, so I'm not blaming him; I think that an honest approach for him would be to either reallocate his resources to help out another libre OS, and retire Trisquel for good, or else find a way to get enough developers to help him put out releases in a reasonable amount of time. I would personally love to help with Trisquel 8, but I'm not a developer, so I don't believe any contributions that I could make would help it to be released substantially sooner.

I know that people on this forum seem to hate Purism (for reasons that are, to me, unclear; in reading both the forums here, as well as everything that Purism has put out that I can find, there was no outright deception on their part, but a few instances where they misjudged what they could do, and made promises that they later couldn't fulfill), but they have been making a lot of progress on the free software front, even having their own libre distribution that not only up-to-date, it is also a rolling release, so there is much less concern that it would go the way of Trisquel 8.