>The rather low popularity of GNU/Linux is the main reason why there are not many viruses/troyans/worms targeting it.

I disagree on this point. Gnu/Linux's popularity is everything but low and there is certainly great incentive to write malware for it, there are hundreds of thousands of servers cracking which would be extremely profitable

But you have nailed it completely when you say

>Then, there is the fact that GNU/Linux users usually not run as root, so the vulnerability must allow privileges escalation to be actually dangerous.

Logic has it there are no viruses in the wild because of the great variety of distributions and packages versions and especially because as you point out writing a proper malware for GNU is no easy game.

dat my 2.15 cent..