In my considerable experience installing GNU-Linux for beginners migrating off Windows, Mint is by far the best choice. It just works, on every piece of hardware I've thrown it at. When a newbie has that kind of first experience - a computer that works better when GNU-Linux is installed and not worse - they are more likely to make a successful transition to being a committed GNU-Linux user. Then, as they start to understand the deeper issues of software freedom, they can use the skills they've gained installing and using Mint to try out a FSF-endorsed distros like Trisquel, with the confidence to troubleshoot any issues that come up.

If someone is already passionately committed to software freedom principles, but lacks install experience, then of course I'd recommend Trisquel from the get-go, because I know they wouldn't be put off by the inconveniences of non-working hardware, websites that behave strangely etc. I was that kind of user, and I wish someone had recommended Trisquel to me when it first came out, so I could have skipped all my frustrating years of Ubuntu with Unity.