SMTube is in Debian main (as of Jessie), but Parabola finds it non-free and it seems like Trisquel does too. I trust their judgment over Debian's so I have stopped using it.

I just tried gtk-youtube-viewer in Flidas and it does almost everything you describe in your initial post. The only thing missing is the ability to click on a YouTube link in-browser and have it open in the player.

I think that this Firefox add-on is intended to achieve that. The license is not GPL-compatible but it is libre. However, I could not get it to work with youtube-viewer. It seems like it was primarily intended for you with Minitube.

I also tried to get Minitube working in Flidas. Unfortunately the version in the repository does not work. You get an error about missing Google API key. It looks like Minitube has to be built with such a key. You can't get a key from Google unless you have a Google account and enable non-free JS. The key also presumably identifies you to Google each time you watch a video. There's a deb file available from the official site. I was unable to test it in Flidas because it's only available in 64-bit and I'm running Flidas on a 32-bit machine. However, I assume it was compiled with the developer's key. If so it should work, and while YouTube can probably tell that you are using Minitube it won't necessarily be able to tell you apart from other Minitube users.