Working backward from hubris: installing (and actually learning) network-manager now since my personal preference of wicd-gtk isn't ready yet and I want to see what my lower end hardware (Thinkpad T-43 and EeePCs) think of a minimalist install before I attempt to get a DE to load.

To clarify, Mate did not load when I attempted to install the default .iso with the default desktop, nor did the command prompt show in any attempts to use the netinstall .iso until the last, when it finally occurred to me to hit Ctrl+Alt+F7, at which point I could grab a window manager that suits me just fine and everything worked.

I did use the disk created with dd for the final install.