As a plus: If you make use of the mailing lists instead of the forums,
you can choose to stop receiving emails (although your subscription will
remain).

I don't know if this is the same case for the
"forums-linked-to-mailing-lists" situation, but in *normal* mailing
lists: You can unsubscribe/"delete account" and the threads and comments
already created won't be affected.

Mailing lists don't suffer from the current issues of the
rating system issue.

Finally, using mailing lists has the benefit of allowing you choose any
reader you like (email client), with the workflow you like, with scoring
in the way you like (to automatically set some threads or messages as
important or to set them as spam/junk, although I haven't used any
scoring yet).

And also see, since I'm using the mailing list, citing a message
normally attempts to get the friendly name of that person first,
otherwise most email clients use the email address instead. In the case
of the forums, they don't set the friendly name in "Friendly Name
<name@email.whatever>", so, since "Friendly Name" is missing, the
clients decide to refer to email address. One way around this would be
to take the forum display name and use it as friendly one, but I don't
know if this is possible in forums software (generally speaking, not
limited to this one).

This however, doesn't stop specific customizable email clients to use
the email address for references directly. For example, I know that
Emacs Gnus has this option (you can explicitly tell it to "always cite
the email address when inserting parts of the original message", or
something like that).

Once again, notice that I'm citing david's message and that I'm using an
email client:

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com