>I would highly expect them to use the same POWER9 CPU that the Talos II is using

Yes. From what raptor wrote me, there is not much of a wide range of options in terms of hardware. It will be a talos 2 power9 sforza. It will be winded down such that it can work on a microatx mainboard which has lower priced electronic components on it. Raptor did not state an intel cpu, which would have an comparable performance. Only that the power cpu would match a x86 duo core cpu on performance.

>wait until the more powerful POWER9 chips become available later on.

No, that is not doable. My understanding is, the power cpu on the raptor microatx mainboard has to be winded down about performance in order to work on a mainboard having lower priced components. Otherwise the mainboard would have to be more expensive.