... I think you may be trying to tackle too many things at once... Solve one
then go to the next. That being said there are two ways to edit a text file.
The graphical way which is opening a text editing program and the terminal way
where you would type "<name of text editor> <file your are editing>... For
example, "vim foo.xml" opens an xml file and allows you to edit it. Editing via
Terminal may be too advanced for you right now, so I would just use a graphical
method. On Trisquel Mini the default text editor I think is LeafPad.