I could enter ctrl+alt+F1, but when I got there it was just ouputting lines and lines and lines of text

Those lines are errors that must have been written in /var/log/syslog. They may be informative. On the contrary, reinstalling at every problem does not teach you anything and the same problem occurs.

Trisquel's default desktop includes "GNOME System Log" to read/search the logs. Trisquel Mini probably has nothing alike. However, you can use any text editor (I believe Leafpad is Trisquel Mini's default) to "open" /var/log/syslog.

By the way, the first text session being unusable, you could have switched to the second text session with Alt+F2 (once you are in another text session, Ctrl+Alt+F2 from the graphical session).

You seem to have many obscure problems. I wonder if your hardware is defective. If I were you I would install "memtests86+" (in Trisquel's repository) and let it test you RAM during one full night. Memtest86+ is run from the menu of GRUB, the bootloader, that lists the installed operating system. If its blue screen turns red, your RAM is defective.

You can self-test your hard drives with SMART too. The regular edition of Trisquel has "Disks" in its "System Settings". I do not think Trisquel Mini has anything alike. As a consequence, you would either need to install "gnome-disk-utility" (in Trisquel's repository) or to run the tests from a terminal. But start with the RAM.