I don't mind verbose.

$ supertramp -v

> 'the eternal present'

Word. This is my greatest fear, that the tyranny of mass surveillance and
proprietary software will reach a level of efficiency such that it will be
impossible to revive freedom or democracy or human dignity. In my mind this is
a fate bad as extinction. The free software movement has achieved a great deal
and continues to make progress, but its success is far from inevitable. We must
win before we reach the point of no return. I don't know when that point will
be, but I think about it in years not decades.

Your experience with Diaspora confirms another fear of mine, which is that
although Diaspora is free software and its developers are probably
well-intentioned, in attempting to replace Facebook they have unintentionally
copied many of its malicious features. It is certainly not as bad as Facebook,
and its decentralization prevents any addiction to it from being exploited by
any one power, but it could still be psychologically harmful.