New browser tested:

Basilisk
(by the vendor of Pale Moon)

This one is very similar to the modern Firefox forks. Strangely some settings (like for accepting cookies) were not even available in Preferences, so I had to dig into about:config to find a setting to make the visible in the GUI.

Results:

After tightening of setting similar to all Firefox clones, there is background chattering

BUT this time I decided to dig deeper. Following the procedure suggested by SuperTramp I still couldn't make chattering disappear. So in about:config I did some brute force cleaning: I zeroed all variables which contained URLs. There were 2-3 for which it wasn't possible, I don't know why, but for all others.

Final result:

+ No background chattering on startup
+ No background chattering on opening preferences
+ Opening https://fsf.org/robots.txt or https://fsf.org communicates only with fsf.org

All this makes me think that such brute force cleanup in about:config may be possible for other Firefox clones. However as I haven't read what each setting does, it may have some other (probably negative) effects. Perhaps we should read about all that and come up with settings which are both private and don't affect functionality (if that is possible).