1. I don't think that was what he meant.

You can set up a communicative network with more people than yourself and still be isolated from the Internet. I think that was what he meant.

2. You say: Free software end-to-end encryption, using good-enough cyphers and protocols, is the solution. It works on the Internet.

How come there are people talking about encryption not being safe? And may I ask for an elaboration on why that is the "solution"?

3. You say: That is for the data. For the meta-data, the best we have is Tor.

May I ask what you mean by this?