Continuation:

> No errors. Let's see what's in bin now.

$ ls bin
check_dd_amd64.bz2 check_dd_x86.bz2 playonlinux playonlinux-check_dd playonlinux-pkg

Same as me :)

> Looks good. Now we'll use 'make install' to install the program.

Allright, so after one has done "$ make" one does "$ make install", noted.

> cp: cannot stat './bin/{playonlinux,playonlinux-pkg}': No such file or directory

That's strange. I got something rather different:

install -d /usr/bin
install -d /usr/libexec
install: cannot change permissions of ‘/usr/libexec’: No such file or directory
Makefile:58: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 1

But I noticed the word "permission" was used there so I tried "$ sudo make install" which gave me:

https://pastebin.com/dvhRU5E2

With the same "cp: cannot stat './bin/{playonlinux,playonlinux-pkg}': No such file or directory" as you! :)

> Huh. What's './bin/{playonlinux,playonlinux-pkg}'? Let's find out:

$ echo ./bin/{playonlinux,playonlinux-pkg}
./bin/playonlinux ./bin/playonlinux-pkg

Cool :)

> This is called brace expansion. './bin/{playonlinux,playonlinux-pkg}' is short for './bin/playonlinux ./bin/playonlinux-pkg',

Nice :)

> but somebody isn't figuring that out.

Well I don't blame them :P

> The problem is that the makefile does not specify which shell to use, and we are defaulting to one that doesn't support brace expansion. To fix this, add

SHELL=/bin/bash

at the top of Makefile and try again.

Wait what?? "which shell to use"? "and we are defaulting to one"?

Hold on five seconds mister fast dude.

According to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_%28computing%29) a shell is "a user interface for access to an operating system's services. In general, operating system shells use either a command-line interface (CLI) or graphical user interface (GUI), depending on a computer's role and particular operation. It is named a shell because it is the outermost layer around the operating system kernel."

So here I am in my GUI shell, typing commands in my CLI shell trying to install a program. But the program's "makefile" doesn't specify "which shell to use"? Which of who? How many shells is there to choose from? Aren't we in a CLI shell now? Inside a GUI shell? I am soooooooo confused here.

"and we are defaulting to one" ... I ... I what? How? When?