I've been an active user on a GNU Social/Qvitter server for a couple of years ([at]strypey[at]quitter.se). But recently the site is down as often as it's up, so I'm seriously considering my options.

I'd like to try my hand at self-hosting, but before I make a decision on which of the many apps to try setting up first, I want to try them all as a user on existing instances. So far I've also tried; Mastodon, Pleroma, Friendi.ca, Hubzilla. So far, I'm leaning towards Hubzilla, because the neat Nomadic Identity feature means it doesn't matter so much if my instance is a bit patchy at first, it supports all the federation protocols (Zot, OStatus, ActivityPub, and maybe DFRN too, if that's still a thing), and it has the largest range of features (events calendars, wiki, forum, and many others).