No, it's not the same as Gnome Web Browser (because epiphany-browser is another package). It's a binary called webbrowser-app, and it has the same Safari like icon.

I tried it on my Trisquel 8. It crashes every time before the window is drawn. The error in terminal is long and something about "module "Ubuntu.Content" is not installed", "Could not determine application identifier. HUD will not work properly.", "module "Ubuntu.DownloadManager" is not installed". I removed it and along with it about 495 MB freed, among them linux headers and stuff. ;-)

It definitely is not on Ubuntu 18.04 anymore.