I believe systemd is installed by default.

Here are a couple of commands with example responses from my laptop running Trisquel 8:

rally@silverbird:~/Desktop$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 7.907s (kernel) + 25.403s (userspace) = 33.311s

rally@silverbird:~/Desktop$ systemd-analyze blame
          7.601s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
          6.136s dev-sda4.device
          5.032s apparmor.service
          3.711s NetworkManager.service
          3.294s postfix.service
          3.257s accounts-daemon.service
          2.894s lightdm.service
          2.645s networking.service
          2.441s console-setup.service
          1.909s rsyslog.service
          1.868s polkitd.service
          1.832s grub-common.service
          1.587s systemd-fsck@dev-sr0.service
          1.549s rc-local.service
          1.299s keyboard-setup.service
          1.146s irqbalance.service
          1.038s systemd-journald.service
.....and lots of other suff taking less and less time to get started.

I noticed tor.service was starting at boot and I haven't been using it so I did...

rally@silverbird:~/Desktop$ systemctl status tor.service
rally@silverbird:~/Desktop$ sudo systemctl stop tor.service
rally@silverbird:~/Desktop$ sudo systemctl disable tor.service

rally@silverbird:~/Desktop$ systemctl | grep service
will also give a list of services starting up (configured in the /etc/rc. files)

All the services that start on mine seem necessary. 33 seconds isn't to bad but if my laptop booted faster that would be nice. The /etc/rc. files allow for changing the order in which different things boot. Tor had a problem because I don't hook up to the internet by default and it was trying to.

I know there is a lot more one can do with systemd and systemctl. I'm no expert.

Here's more info:
https://www.linux.com/learn/understanding-and-using-systemd