Crap. I just realized that my somewhat long message never went through.
Resending:

It looks like Debian testing introduces a plugin[1] for Snap integration, which
Ubuntu has included[2] since 17.10. If this means that Ubuntu has removed Snap
integration from gnome-software itself, then p
erhaps this will not be an issue in Ubuntu 18.04/Trisquel 9.

In the meantime, I was interested to see what would happen if I installed
gnome-software without libsnapd-glib1, so I modified the deb package to no
longer require libsnapd-glib1 and installed.

$ apt download gnome-software
$ tar x gnome-software_3.20.5-0ubuntu0.16.04.11_amd64.deb
$ tar -xzf control.tar.gz
$ sed -e s/"libsnapd-glib1 (>= 0.9), "//g -i control
$ tar -cvzf control.tar.gz control
$ ar rcs newpackage.deb debian-binary control.tar.gz data.tar.xz
$ sudo apt install libappstream-glib8 libfwupd1 libgtkspell3-3-0
$ sudo dpkg -i newpackage.deb

gnome-software was successfully installed. Upon launching it, I found that it
no longer recommends proprietary software as it did before libsnapd-glib1 was
removed from the repo. However, it also does not display any software that has
not already been installed.

This bug has also appeared in Fedora[3] and Ubuntu[4]. If I recall correctly,
prior to the removal of
 libsnapd-glib1 gnome-software only showed installed packages and Snap
packages, so it could also be
related to this[5].

None of the workarounds suggested in these threads worked for me. After messing
around with packagekitd for a while I gave up. I also found many threads about
gnome-software not displaying any programs at all, which is the problem I ran
into with gnome-software when I tried Fedora. I tried some of those
workarounds, even though it's a slightly different issue, and had no luck.

TL;DR: If libsnapd-glib1 were removed as a dependency of gnome-software, then
gnome-software would be installable again and no longer recommend proprietary
software, but it would still not work do to another bug that seems to be from
upstream.

[1] https://packages.debian.org/buster/gnome-software-plugin-snap
[2] https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/gnome-software-plugin-snap
[3]