> I think Mate is really nice (both the tea and the desktop enviroment :D).
> I'm using i3wm right now, It's really simple and fast

Have you tried using MATE+i3? I used to use i3 on its own, but I missed things
like automatic monitor detection. Using i3 as MATE's window manager feels just
like using i3 on its own, without having to give up the conveniences of a full
desktop envioronment.

To use i3 as MATE's window manager, run

$ dconf write /org/mate/desktop/session/required-components/windowmanager
"'i3'" # set window manager
$ dconf write /org/mate/desktop/background/show-desktop-icons false # disable
desktop icons
$ dconf write /org/mate/desktop/session/required-components/panel "''" # remove
mate-panel