Thank you for the reply.

Fn-F8 disables the touchpad and indeed if I disable it I can use a USB mouse fine.

This suggests to me that there is something up with the touchpad itself, so I will probably end up having to send it back.

However before I do that I'd like to check whether I have a correct driver installed and also re-install it to see if it is a driver issue.

Does anyone know which driver should be being used for the touchpad, how I can tell I am using the correct one and where I can get the correct one if the wrong one is currently installed ?