The only thing that matters is the chipset... which is usually not even specified on the wrapping. Worse: the manufacturer may change the chipset on a same model, which may used to work with free or no firmware but not anymore after the change.

As far as I know, The only reliable way to buy a new card without testing it and to be sure it will work with free or no firmware is to buy from http://libre.thinkpenguin.com or http://tehnoetic.com (both ship internationally).

You may buy second-hand if the vendor indicates the chipset. The Atheros chipsets AR7010, AR9170, AR9270 and AR9271 (maybe others but not AR10k) are known to work. Some Realtek chipsets recently started to work too. For instance, my previous computer had a RTL8188EE chipset that started to work with the newer kernel in Trisquel 8: https://trisquel.info/forum/trisquel-8-codename-flidas-release-candidate-ready-testing?page=1#comment-130659