To clarify, I create images, music, video, etc. So, naturally the output files I generate can be compressed or uncompressed. Sometimes when you make a final output file, you need to make a few uncompressed versions of the file before mastering. Regarding, BackInTime -- my current backup software, it does not compress the files do to a problem with hard-links when restoring the file.

I think the reason why I left Déjà Dup behind was that it does not "smart delete" backups when the drive is full. I used to use it but I stopped using it years ago in favor of BackInTime.