I remember when I first installed Trisquel I was getting 1024*768 resolution, after upgrading the Linux-libre kernel to 4.19.*, I did get 1080p resolution(but the audio in my monitor was not working via HDMI so... I use headphones :D ). I have an AMD GPU RX 560.

When you read this "Linux-libre kernel = 100% Freedom ... Updated AMD GPU". That means the linux kernel developers updated the gpu driver(Take the example above, upgrading the kernel to 4.19.* gives me support for 1080p resolution ;) )

If you really need GPU compute for work or other tasks you can check the AMD Vega GPU it is well supported in the kernel, but it's expensive...(Although I'm not sure if it is 100% free software).

Other than that you stuck with proprietary drivers :/ if you really need gpu compute.