> Could be... I doubt it. The laptop I bought from Technoethical was
> specifically sold with this OS installed. So, unless they are foolish
> enough to sell their stock on hardware components that are incompatible
> with Trisquel, the answer is no.

I don't mean incompatible with Trisquel. I mean defective. Otherwise
Technoethical's laptops should work fine with Trisquel.

> And if Trisquel IS incompatible with any
> hardware that exists, that is a massive adoption barrier that need be
> addressed.

As I said, Trisquel is incompatible with many WiFi cards and some GPUs.
I agree that this is a barrier to installing Trisquel on a machine whose
hardware components were selected with Windows or macOS in mind, but
when buying a laptop that comes with Trisquel this should not be an
issue, unless the hardware itself is defective.

> My experience should never happen to anyone. This is not a matter of
> personal offense; I'm trying to convey a matter of principle. A principle
> this community needs to rigorously adopt. It is THE worst conceivable
> thing to happen for widespread migration when the software breaks to the
> point where it is no longer usable. The fact that this happened even once
> should give you nightmares. Why is the fact that it is not happening to
> everyone consolation to you? Where is your urgency? This community needs
> a radical shift of mentality if it ever wants to make a lasting effect.

It is very likely that you bought a bad laptop and will have to send it
back. This happens to Windows users too. Honestly, although I respect
the fact that Technoethical is committed to selling freedom-friendly
hardware and is very good about disclosing freedom issues, it seems that
some of their customers have been having problems lately.

I'm not sure what you mean by a lack of urgency. You are the first
person to have this problem. How can the community address a problem
that hasn't occurred yet? Within hours of you reporting the issue,
multiple people have provided suggestions toward troubleshooting.

You're not wrong. We should strive to improve free software. If this
turns out to be a bug in Trisquel we'll try to fix it. However, I think
it may not be a problem with Trisquel. Not only are you the first user
to report this issue, but if you bought from Technoethical then you
presumably have one of the Librebootable Thinkpad models. Many of us are
running the same operating system on the same hardware, so if
reinstalling Trisquel didn't fix the issue, it seems more likely to me
that the hardware is defective.