> Such part/accessory information can be found in the hardware maintenance
> manual (HMM) for older ThinkPad models, but not newer ones. For more
> recent models (starting Nehalem or SandyBridge), the HMMs no longer
> contain a rather verbose "Part List" section.

Okay, so my friend has an X201, so I'm looking at this,

http://tim.id.au/laptops/lenovo/thinkpad%20x200%20x200s%20x200si%20x201%20x201i%20x201s.pdf

and I see a "Parts List" section. On page 168 (176 in the pdf) it looks
like the WiFi card is labeled "7", so I should look up by FRU all of the
WiFi cards listed on pages 190-192 (198-200 in the pdf) and check
h-node to see if any of them work with free software?