Thank your for the simple explanations. My brain was so fried from gathering all the nmap data and Google search data and then combining it that the straightforward approach never dawned.

My obfuscations of the test files upset their original sorting.

My quick & dirty approach was to load the longer file into LibreOffice Calc, then append the smaller file, sort the combined files, copy & paste into Leafpad, and then apply Magic Banana's duplicated-file script, which performed the last step in 0.064 second, leaving me with ca. 85,000 rows of duplicated hostnames. Some refinements need - more data from Google searches, inclusion of data fro earlier analyses (i.e., more ASN's), etc. Not a task for just one person.

The trisquel forum continues its invaluable contributions. Thank you !

George Langford