Or else try this command:

lspci | grep Ethernet

Certain Atheros WLAN cards are recognized as "Ethernet controller" rather than "Network controller". This is true for the two possible Atheros cards (AR5418 and AR5424) that come with X60 series. Since his computer doesn't recognize any "Network controller", he may (fortunately) have an Atheros card already. It seems relatively more Japanese sub-models come with Atheros cards (compared to those sold to other areas of world). I do have a Japanese version AR5424. It works perfectly under Trisquel, albeit certain channels are disabled, in order to meet local law regulations.

I routinely use USB tethering, but only with an Android (Lineage OS or Resurrection Remix) smart phone or else a KaiOS "smart feature phone" (something between smart phone and feature phone, e.g. Nokia 8110). I have never been an "i-Thing" victim. So I can't answer the question about USB tethering with an iPhone.