> Can you be more specific? Do you get a black screen, or can you log into
a command line?

I can login in the command line. (There is only no gui anymore)

>Are you saying that you now have a dual boot, where one partition is
your GUI-less Trisquel 8 system and another is your Debian/Trisquel 7
mess?

Yes, indeed. (The GUI-less Trisquel 8 system might be also called a mess.) (The Debian/Trisquel 7
mess is installed on a 16 GB USB-stick.)

>What happened when you tried? At this point, backing up your files to
another medium and doing a fresh install of Trisquel 8 might be the
easiest solution.

I forgot what happened when I tried to install the Trisquel 8 installation. I can try to install Trisquel 8 again and document this time (via another computer each step on the trisquel forum) A backup was already on a another medium. (I can backup some additional files I made recently on trisquel 7/debian mess, that is all need to do I think for the backup part)
Yes, fresh install of Trisquel 8 could be the easiest solution, indeed.

Question: Do you think it is best to use this version for my Libreboot x200 thinkpad?:

Trisquel 8.0 LTS Flidas

    Release date: 04/18/2018 - 16:50
    Downloads: 102543

Trisquel

    2.5GB Live DVD iso image
    MATE desktop
    50 language translations preinstalled1

64 bit.

I had already downloaded the 2.5 GB version and had put it on a 8 GB USb-stick. I think that part went well, but somewhere in the installation something went wrong. I should check again what it was.

Thank you.