I like pale moon, but there's a drama with MPL trademarks. It's really good though, It's like Firefox ESR in another direction.

For browsing without Javascript, I'd recommend you use Netsurf. It's only 50MB when you launch it.

I don't know much about Chess, but for an XMPP Client called "Gajim", you can install a tic-tac-toe plugin. Somebody I was chatting with had really bad internet upstream issues in mumble where he could hear us, but he would drop too many packets and somebody in mumble said he was playing tic-tac-toe in gajim. Then I thought that could be really good for people with really bad shiternet, imagine if there was a plugin for texas hold up, yu-gi-oh or chess.